Friday, January 23, 2015

Doing Nothing and Organizing...

Not surprising, I'm still working on unpacking from moving home after graduating college. I'm trying to purge as I go (I'm getting better at letting go of birthday cards from when I was 14...) as well as pack away things I don't need until I move out (toaster oven, pots, pans, etc..). So, it's a slow process!
I also house sat for a week, which put a "pause" on the unpacking while I was staying with their dogs and cats!
Here are a few helpful tips/ideas that I think could help anyone!!

Doing Nothing
It seems like a dream, right? "A WHOLE DAY TO DO NOTHING!"
That's what I thought...
But, let me tell you - it was horrible. I didn't actually do nothing; I knit, I read, I took care of the animals in the house I was house sitting... but at the end of the day - I felt like crap!

A few days later I had another day with "nothing" to do. But, I made sure to shower, get dressed (in a new pair of sweats anyway), and stick to a somewhat normal schedule (for meals). It helped! Even though I still knit, read, took care of the animals, etc... doing it in an organized way made me feel less groggy at the end of the day!

So, the next time you are SO excited to do nothing - DO SOMETHING! :)

Organizing 
I'm not the most brilliant "organizer" and I probably read this idea on Pinterest once upon a time. BUT, here's what I did with all of those extra/little things you find when organizing!

Every year when I moved in to the dorms (I lived in the dorms all 7 semesters I was in college) I would receive a bunch of samples - face wash, dish soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, you nanme it! Personally, I think that samples aren't really going to do anything - how do you know if a product works for you by using it once?! You can't!
Anyways, so I have a bunch of samples just sitting in random bins in my room because I always say "Oh, yeah, I'll use that" - and then never do.

Here are a few close ups of samples I found:
 

Overall, I found shampoo, conditioner, heat activated hair product, body wash, body lotion, feminine pads, a lot of face wash, and a few facial moisturizers. I also found travel sizes of  body wash, lotion, and body spray.


So, that's what I did! This thirtyone bag, which I only use to carry toiletries when travelling, became my storage place for all of them!
In on of the zipper pockets I put all of the small samples. In the elastic bottle holders I put the travel size body wash and lotion.
In the side mesh pockets I have the body spray and a bottle of Pure Romance Coochy conditioning shave cream. (There's still a tiny bit left of the shave cream - but I have a newer one in a scent I prefer in my shower).
In the front zipper compartment I put a travel kleenex and some feminine products. Seriously, never travel without some feminine products - even if your "time" is like clockwork, you might save someone else by having it with you!
In the large center compartment I added a couple more travel size lotions and body washes (not pictured) as well as a travel pack of Q-tips!

Now, next time I go on a trip or just away for a night, I don't have to stress about packing! I can throw in my toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, and makeup! I suggest if you have a certain bag you always use, and if it's already taking up space - use the inside of it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment