Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Next Step

Movies and TV shows have put a certain expectation on the emotions associated with choosing to move in with your significant other.

Take Grey's Anatomy, Season 2, Episode 10:
Cristina finds a key in her coffee cup in the morning











And then when she tells Mer, it's a big deal.
"Burke keyed you?"
"I got freakin' keyed before coffee"

Not only that, but Cristina feels like this a huge next step, one they're perhaps not ready for. Considering they were broken up for a bit at the beginning of the season (and this is only episode 10), I'd say maybe things are moving a bit fast for C and B... but it's a TV show - and those tend to dramatize things.

Still, I thought moving in with my boyfriend would be a big deal - something really ground breaking. And it wasn't. At the risk of sounding a bit robotic and a bit like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, it was the logical next step. We had been long distance for three years, we had both recently graduated college and were ready to start being real adults with real jobs - so why not do that in the same city? And if I'm going to move half way across the country - I'm not going to live with a random roommate. Like I said, logical.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love living with him. But the act of doing so was a little boring, almost nonchalant. There were no fireworks, I didn't build him a house made out of candles to prove I was ready... we just did it, we packed up and moved in together. Sometimes I have to say to myself "we live together now" because maybe this time it'll be a big deal. Instead, it always just seems so normal.

And maybe that's not a bad thing. If it were such a big deal, we'd constantly be striving to maintain that kind of excitement in our lives. But instead, we get to build a life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment